Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Are Your Views on God Unpalatable?

My good friend and colleague Charles Onians came across this and passed it on to me. See if you can answer all 20 questions without stepping on a mine or biting the bullet, and join the currently 7.6% of those who have taken the test to be awarded the TPM Medal of Honor. Sadly, I was among the 46% who came in second with the Medal of Distinction.

Charlie says he has a complaint about the language used in some of the questions, but I'll let him post that as a response.

http://www.philosophyquotes.net/cgi-bin/god_game1.cgi?num=0&hits=0&bullets=0&bulletcount=0&hitcount=0

3 comments:

poetreader said...

This little test is seriously flawed in its philosophical underpinnings. Among other things, in its consistent use of the feminine pronoun it is positing a contrast between no god and a god in whom I cannot possibly believe. This is deliberate unfairness, a poisoning of the well.

I took one 'hit' based on the author's assertion that my answers were in direct contradiction. On examination, I categorically reject that assertion. The two "bullets" I was supposed to have bitten reveal a serious logical contradiction in the thinking of the author. To have answered other than I did would have been an egregious breach of logical thinking, distinctly self-contradictory, and should logically have been scored as 'hits'. If I had gone through the test with neither hits nor bullets, I would have revealed myself as severly deficient in logical facilities.

ed

Anonymous said...

i took a hit, but i have faith, so there's hope

Anonymous said...

ah yes, point is that philosophers ascribe very specific meanings to words so that philosophical arguments effectively turn into mathematical equations. while such tight and rigorous definitions are necessary for philosophy to exist and progress, they are counter-productive for those of us who just want to have a laugh, meaning that contradictions are inevitable in the quiz as laymen have different, subjective interpretations for each and every word. but, as the website says, it's all about fun (and God)