Saturday, December 17, 2005

No More Christ(ians) in Bethlehem?

With only a week left until the Feast of the Nativity, I want to share with you one of my deepest concerns -- that the Christian presence in Bethlehem and the rest of the Holy Land is being threatened from all sides -- political, religious and economic.

Year before last I had the joyous experience of visiting the Holy Land. I met there Fr Peter Vasco, a New Yorker and a senior member of the Franciscan community in Jerusalem, who gave me a personal guided tour of the Holy City.

Fr Peter was one of the founders of the Franciscan Foundation for the Holy Land, and I commend their web site to you. If you are looking for a special charity to bless this Christmas, your money couldn't be better spent.

The following is a piece written about a talk given by Fr Peter.

http://ffhl.org/news/thefloridacatholic.asp Posted by Picasa

No comments: